New iPhone App!
The 555 Punk Console is a software-simulation of the “Stepped-Tone Generator” circuit originally designed by Forrest M. Mims III; a favorite among experimental musicians and noise-enthusiasts! This simulator introduces a few minor modifications to the original circuit to facilitate a slightly wider range of sonic possibilities (see app info page for specifics).
Controls available in this initial release include:
- On/Off Toggle (lower-right)
- Volume Knob (small black knob – lower-left)
- Astable Oscillator Pitch Control (large black knob – left)
- Monostable “Step” Control (large black knob – right)
- Info / Schematic Page (accessed via the input jack icon – upper right)
Check out the video preview on the App Store to hear what the 555 Punk Console can do!
If you are interested in learning more about the 555 Timer and its utility for electronic music making, you can also check out a simplified educational version of this app within the App Store entitled: “555 Synthesizer.” Both apps generate similar square-wave pitches, but the 555 Punk Console utilizes extra electronic components in order to also generate stepped overtones.